What is a "thumbnail sketch"?
- Quick, abbreviated drawings...NO corrections
- Usually an inch or two in height
- Used as a memory tool when you need to make notes about a piece of art or something you saw
- Used for planning pictures: format, composition, value, rhythm/movement, balance
- DO NOT put in detail...used to outline key shapes and values
- Can be used for color planning as well
- Written notes can accompany along with other additional sketches where the detail of something specific can be illustrated
- Can lead to a "preliminary drawing" which can be an achromatic rendering of a subject before a full painting/color drawing is begun
Preliminary Drawings and final paintings by Diego Rivera
Thumbnail sketches for the children's picture book "Little Bunny" by Christine Dion
Working sketches for the children's picture book "Little Bunny" by Christine Dion
More to come...
More refined sketches